Minute of Munster Chess Union Annual General Meeting 2014
The secretary's report is available as a pdf document on the website. The main issues covered
- An outline of our response to the request received to enter teams in the under 16 and under 19
- A note that the committee decided that emails discussing issues should be treated as
- Unfortunately, in November, the behaviour of the MCU rep lead to a situation where the ICU Executive
would no longer include him in confidential discussions. Despite attempts by the Chairman to resolve the
matter the rep refused to change his behaviour. The Committee unanimously agreed that he was not carrying
out his role and he was replaced by the Chairman as required by Article 3.5 of the MCU Constitution.
- Stephen Danaher raised the issue that Shannon had won all their matches in Division 2 but were only
placed second in the league. Although the Committee accepted that Stephen had a reasonable point the
results in the Munster Leagues have always been decided on game points and it would not be possible to
change the rules retrospectively.
- Finally it was noted that the new MCU Website had gone live in late July. It is hoped that this will
allow much better communication with our membership.
Gabriel Mirza questioned why the NCC/ECC qualifying tournament proposed in Motion 1 adopted at last year's
AGM was not held. I explained that I had emailed all the Division 1 Clubs to determine their interest and only
one club was interested in participating.
Gabriel pointed out that St. Michael's could have fielded teams. I pointed out that the motion specifically
referred to Division 1 teams and that the committee had to work with the motion as passed.
The Secretary's report was adopted on the proposal of Alan Salsac, seconded by Pat Twomey.